Read On Literacy Tutors
Summer Months – Full Time
This is the 32nd year the Brantford Public Library is providing our well-established summer Read On program. This program is designed for children in Grades 2 to 6 who need extra help and practice in English, French, and Math. Tutors customize each session to fit the individual needs of students. Activities are designed to be fun and engaging to not only improve the reading and math skills of the child, but also instill a confidence and desire to learn.
The Library is seeking enthusiastic and committed post-secondary students who have a passion for literacy and helping others. While tutor experience is an asset, initial and ongoing training will be provided to develop necessary skills.
It is anticipated that this position will be available June 15, 2020 and be completed August 22, 2020, however these dates are subject to change.
Reports to: Manager, Programming and Outreach
Hours of Work: Maximum of 35 hours per week and may include evenings, Saturdays and Sundays
• Enrolled in or plan to enroll in a B.Ed. or ECE program (those with relevant experience and enrolled in other programs will be considered)
• Returning to full time academic program in Fall 2020 required
• Strong communication and reading skills in English and French (for those tutoring in French) required
• Interest and experience working with children required
• Experience tutoring considered an asset
• Availability for entire summer required
• Excellent organizational and time management skills
• Ability to function well in a busy environment and work with minimal supervision
• Enjoys working with others and sharing best practices and lessons learned
• Review program goals and objectives
• Tutor children entering Grades 2 – 6 in Fall 2020
• Tutor to maintain and/or increase literacy levels in both English and French (for those tutoring in French)
• Plan and facilitate group literacy games
• Participate in and promote Brantford Public Library’s annual Summer Reading Club
• Staff the Summer Reading Club desk
• Work with community partners to deliver tutoring offsite
• Other duties consistent with job responsibilities
A valid Ontario Driver’s license and access to a vehicle may be required.
Vulnerable Sector Police Check required.
Some evening and weekend work may be required.
Please reply in confidence no later than Sunday, March 8, 2020 at 11:59 pm.
Zile Ozols, Manager – Programming and Outreach
Brantford Public Library
173 Colborne Street
Brantford, ON N3T 2G8
Fax: (519) 756-4979
Brantford Public Library is committed to promoting the independence, dignity, integration, and equality of opportunity of persons with disabilities by ensuring the accessibility of our facilities and services. Accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment and selection process. Applicants need to make their required accommodations known in advance.