POSITION: Communications Manager
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Permanent Full-time, Non-Union
POSTING NUMBER: 2022 – 10
START DATE: To be determined
LOCATION: Brantford and/or Townsend – will require travel between both jurisdictions
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
· Bachelor of Arts or College diploma with specialization in Public Relations, Communications or Marketing
Candidates with other academic qualifications and related experience (including demonstrated ability) may be considered
· Three (3) years or more of progressive experience in communications, with an emphasis on strategic communication, internal and member stakeholder relations in a not-for-profit setting
· Experience working with diverse populations, equity seeking groups and stakeholders including but not limited to Indigenous people, organizations, and communities.
· Experience in developing relationships among colleagues and communicating effectively
Proven ability to work independently and as part of a multi-disciplinary team
RESPONSIBLE TO: Executive Director
Under the Supervision of the Executive Director
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Communications Manager is responsible for providing expertise in governance, communications, and public relations leadership to Child and Family Services of Grand Erie. The incumbent will support the work of the agency and the board of directors in the development and implementation of a comprehensive communications and public relations strategy. In the first year, the strategic focus will be on rebranding and promoting CFS GE, including leading the development of a comprehensive Foster Parent Recruitment Campaign. A significant public relations deliverable each year will be the planning and delivery of the agency’s Annual General Meeting as well as other key events, including child abuse awareness month, adoption month and various appreciation events to ensure consistency of messaging and materials.
The Communications Manager will serve as the first point of contact for the agency for media enquiries in order to ascertain what response is required from the Executive Director, develop strategic communication response plans and messaging, sometimes in collaboration with OACAS. In some instances, the Communication Manager may be required to respond directly to media, upon direction of the Executive Director.
The Communications Manager will work to ensure that the agency’s public website and social media channels reflect the agency’s brand image, vision and mission in the most helpful, positive, diverse and inclusive manner.
The Communications Manager will be required to work with the senior leadership team as appropriate to gather data and information in order to create communication and public relations materials including reports, key messages and public campaign materials.
The Communications Manager will ensure all communication materials are culturally appropriate and further the goals of the organization with respect to Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion, as well as Truth and Reconciliation with Indigenous partners and communities.
The Communications Manager will act as the primary liaison with the CFS GE Foundation’s fund raiser to ensure alignment of Foundation activities with the goals of CFS GE.
The Communications Manager will also attend provincial communications meetings organized through OACAS.
To ensure cultural appropriateness in communications and relationship building with internal and external stakeholders, the Communication Manager will:
· Develop a communications strategy and plan for CFS GE that aligns with the agency’s Mission, Vision and Values
· Lead communications strategy for internal change management processes and communication initiatives
· Work with CFS GE senior leadership team to plan, develop key messages, create strategies for CFS GE communication to stakeholders, Indigenous partners, and government representatives
· Develop and coordinate business processes for all internal and external agency communications
· Design and implement the CFS GE communications plan
· Make recommendations, based on feedback and analytics, to better engage stakeholders through CFS GE communication vehicles
· Assist with the coordination of content and promotion of CFS GE communication materials and events
· Develop and maintain a communications calendar to facilitate a strategic approach to communication and event planning
· Share appropriate articles, resources, and announcements on CFS GE’s social media platforms
· Create original and repurpose existing content for Member-focused messaging
· Coordinate the dissemination of this content through multiple platforms, including social media, targeted newsletter(s), and CFS GE intranet and internet sites
· Provides internal consultation, advice and planning to all levels of management and the Board of Directors regarding communications including crisis communication planning, as required
· Support and ensure alignment of Foundation materials with CFS GE Mission, Vision and Values
· Manage and provide oversight to the Executive Assistant related to governance
· Participate as a member of the Senior Leadership Team
Oversee / coordinate structure and content posted on the agency website.
Other duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED
· Expert knowledge of communications theories, practices and techniques related to the not-for-profit sector
· Extensive knowledge of Child Welfare practices and legislation would be an asset.
· Knowledge of anti-black racism
· Knowledge of the impact of residential school and colonization and understanding of Indigenous practices
· Advanced verbal and written communication skills to communicate with a broad range of audiences one-on-one and in a group setting, make compelling presentations and write clear, concise learning materials geared for the target audience
· Strong interpersonal, collaboration, and relationship management skills to interact effectively and build and nurture effective working relationships with colleagues, Members, subject matter experts, learning consultants and participants
· Creativity to develop messaging and tactics to facilitate sector transformation activities using a membership intranet platform
· Strong analytical and issues management skills to analyze issues, identify options, recommend positions and to draft clear, concise plans
· Strong negotiation skills and ability to foster cooperation, build consensus, gain support and influence decision-making and outcomes
· Demonstrated ability to plan, organize and prioritize a varied workload in a fast-paced environment, including managing several projects simultaneously
· Highly motivated problem-solver with the ability to identify and resolve challenges both autonomously and collaboratively
· Excellent PC-based computer skills with proficiency in commonly used communications and marketing-related website, apps and software
· Analytical Thinking
· Communication Skills written and verbal, including public speaking.
· Critical Thinking
· Decision Making
· Networking and Relationship Building
· Organizational and Environmental Awareness
· Political Acuity
· Planning and Organizing
· Problem Solving
· Service Orientation
ANNUAL SALARY RANGE: In accordance with the non-union compensation agreement – $83,291.00 -$97,438.22
As a condition of hire, selected candidates will be required to provide:
· Proof of full vaccination against Covid-19 (subject to duty to accommodate under applicable human rights legislation)
· Consent for Police- Vulnerable Records Check- Results must be satisfactory to the employer
· Consent for Child Welfare check- Results must be satisfactory to the employer
Must have a valid Ontario “G” class driver’s license and reliable vehicle.
We are committed to staffing a workforce representative of the diverse population we serve. We encourage applicants from African Canadian, Indigenous, people with disabilities, 2SLGBTQ+ communities to apply and to please self-identify in their cover letter.
We are committed to creating an accessible environment for all. Please let us know if you have any accommodation needs. We thank all applicants; however only those considered for interviews will be contacted.
APPLICATION: Applications in writing, with resume will be accepted electronically at:
CLOSING DATE: May 9, 2022 @ 4:30 pm