Six Nations of the Grand River Development Corporation
Posting Period: September 5, 2019 – September 30, 2019
Position: Community Plan Facilitator
Location: Six Nations of the Grand River Development Corporation – Community Planning
Job Status: Part-Time Contract
Hours of Work: 0-25 hours per week
COMMUNITY PLAN FACILIATOR (Part-Time)
The Community Plan Facilitator will report to the Director of Corporate Affairs and under the guidance of the Advisory Committee, to develop, organize and implement a system of Community Planning in keeping with Six Nations social, economic, health and cultural aspirations. This position will update, maintain and implement the current Six Nations Community Plan, gather data and interpret community-based research into analysis reports, and establish intra-community relationships based on community plan goals and objectives.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Update and maintain the Community Plan by engaging with the Six Nations Community, as necessary.
- Implement, facilitate and encourage the use of the Community Plan.
- Gather department planning reports that include required stages of development, cost and projected implementation time line in the Community Plan.
- Collect data and conduct interviews, surveys and site inspections concerning factors that affect community development.
- Compile and analyze data on demographic, economic, legal, political, cultural, sociological, physical and other factors affecting community resources.
- Prepare reports, using statistics, charts, and graphs, to provide recommendations on key planning issues.
- Facilitate Community Engagement on matters regarding the Community Plan.
- Regularly attend applicable community events to enhance and promote the Community Plan and other Development Corporation initiatives.
- Gather insights by attending community meetings and conducting informal outreach as opportunities arise.
- Review and maintain general knowledge of current Federal, Provincial, and Municipal planning policies.
- Maintain an up-to-date inventory of the status of community planning on Six Nations.
- Recommend and identify a system of community planning priorities.
- Formulate long-range objectives and policies relative to future resource development and use and the protection of the environment.
- Provide updates on planning issues to governing bodies.
- Research and develop a process of planning and collaboration based on the goals identified in the Community Plan.
- Liaise effectively with community members, officials of community organizations and various departments and committees of Six Nations governance bodies.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by the Director of Corporate Affairs.
ADDITIONAL SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Good Interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of Six Nations Community, culture and traditions.
- Excellent working knowledge of the Six Nations governance and various Departments and committees
- Strong ability to analyze problems, recommend comprehensive solutions and mobilize resources for effective implementation.
- Must be able to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines; familiar with critical path planning and logistical requirements.
- Must be trustworthy, reliable and maintain confidentiality.
- Must pass a police record check.
- Willingness to learn, accept change, and adapt to new ideas, business concepts, and cultures.
- Flexible, extra hours may be required on occasion.
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE
- University degree or College Diploma in Urban and Regional Planning, or Rural Planning and Development, or Indigenous Community Planning, with two (2) years’ experience in community-based research, community engagement, and community development.
Certification in Project Management and/or Community Engagement with at least five (5) years of related experience which must include compiling, analyzing and presenting comprehensive planning materials such as strategic plans, policy formulation, and public consultation.
- Must possess a deep understanding of the Six Nations of the Grand River Community.
- Thorough knowledge of project management processes.
- Must be aware of the political process and procedures particular to Six Nations community.
- Must be aware of political relationships between First Nations and Federal and Provincial Governments and surrounding municipal governments.
- Knowledge of planning principles, concepts, practices, and methods.
- Knowledge of qualitative and quantitative analysis techniques, demographic forecasting, and economic base analysis and forecasting.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office and iCloud applications.
- Demonstrated communication, writing, conflict resolution and research skills.
- Demonstrated success in contributing to effective teamwork coupled with the ability to work independently in a high-pressure demanding environment while managing multiple priorities and deadlines.
IMPACT OF ERROR
Error in judgement may lead to loss of credibility, poor public relations, public confidence and misinformation resulting in embarrassment and potential liability to the Six Nations of the Grand River Development Corporation.
The purpose of the Six Nations of the Grand River Development Corporation is to enhance Six Nations to derive economic benefits, create employment for community members and generate income to support community priorities.
Six Nations of the Grand River Development Corporation will pursue economic self-sufficiency without sacrificing the cultural values and integrity of the Six Nations People.
Community Members, Contractors, Community Governance Bodies, Elected Council Departments, External Governing Bodies, Board Members, and Development Corporation Staff.
- This position requires normal physical effort.
- This position requires normal visual/sensory effort.
- This position typically operates in a generally agreeable work environment.
- This position requires regularly attending community events normally held outside of normal work hours.
- There is regular deadline pressure from various sources.
Director of Corporate Affairs July 2019 V1
Please submit the following to the HR Department at the Gathering Place by the Grand Building in person/by mail at 2498 Chiefswood Road, Ohsweken, Ontario N0A 1M0 or by email at HRdept@sndevcorp.ca:
- Application for Employment Form (attached)
- Cover letter
Or apply online at www.sndevcorp.ca/careers.
Or apply online at www.Indeed.ca
Or apply through GREAT
Or apply through Hamilton Regional Indian Centre
Or apply through NPAAMB
- Only those applicants who meet the qualifications will be contacted for an interview
- Police Record Check and copies of education will be required at the time of Offer of Employment
- Six Nations of the Grand River Development Corporation shall make every reasonable effort to accommodate job applicants who have disabilities and make the applicants aware of the policies and supports in place for accommodating people with disabilities. If you require accommodation during any phase of the recruitment and selection process, please reach out to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Download Application FormCommunity Plan Facilitator – Part Time – NPAAMB
To apply for this job please visit www.sndevcorp.ca.