Posting Period: September 16, 2019 – Until Filled
Position: Human Resources Specialist
Location: SNGRDC – Human Resources
Job Status: Contract – 1 Year
Hours of Work: 35 Per Week
HUMAN RESOURCES SPECIALIST
(One-Year Contract – 35 hrs per week)
Reporting to the Human Resources Manager, the Human Resources Specialist will play a key role in engaging and supporting managers and employees with operational processes and procedures, specifically around health and safety. The candidate must possess excellent communication, both written and verbal, excellent organizational and time-management skills. The chosen candidate will serve as the health and safety (H&S) specialist within the Human Resources Department and work within the policies and procedures established by the Six Nations of the Grand River Development Corporation (SNGRDC).
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Knowledgeable of Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA) and Canada Labour Code, Part II.
- Ensures SNGRDC’s compliance with federal and/or provincial H&S regulations for each SNGRDC site.
- Knowledgeable of HR best practices, services and programs.
- Provides HR orientation to all new hires.
- Ensures new hires complete WHMIS, AODA, Supervisor and/or Worker Awareness Training, Workplace Violence & Harassment, Sexual Violence & Harassment, Lateral Violence, Customer Service & Work Ethics Online Training.
- Tracks and distributes refresher online training for existing staff, as above.
- Updates H&S training schedule matrix.
- Member of Joint Health & Safety Committee (JHSC) and provides training to all new members on processes and procedures of the committee.
- Assists leadership with completion of annual inspections of SNGRDC buildings.
- Follow up with JHSC to ensure that H&S recommendations are completed and tracked.
- Maintains training records of JHSC members.
- Coordinates First Aid Training and Food Handling Training with external vendors for staff annually.
- Ensures proper site-specific training, i.e. working at heights – construction.
- Develops health and safety policies and procedures for all SNGRDC departments.
- Trains staff on new health and safety policies and provides refresher training.
- Conducts job hazard and task analysis for all positions.
- Provides recommendations to reduce risks, i.e. process improvement or equipment purchase.
- Develops lockdown procedures and trains staff on emergency response planning.
- Monitors staff on WSIB or Long-Term Disability and implements Return to Work Programs (RTW), monitors RTW case management.
- Ensures timely submission of WSIB Forms.
- Prepares modified work schedules as per health professional’s recommendations.
- Prepares letters to health professionals when further information is required, i.e. FAF forms.
- Maintains reporting to Labour Board on Annual Hazard Occurrences.
- Tracks monthly statistics of JHSC to ensure accurate reporting for the Annual Workplace Committee Report.
- Prepares quarterly labour report for President’s Report, i.e. number of incident reports.
- Conducts annual fire drills for all SNGRDC sites.
- Assists with annual Town Hall Meeting.
- Prepares Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) for position.
- Remain current with industry trends and employment legislation.
- Assist in creating a positive culture that reflects the corporation values.
- Handle sensitive and confidential information relating to the activities of the Corporation.
- Participates in Health and Safety networking activities to remain current on industry trends and to facilitate knowledge sharing.
- Assist Supervisors in the development of Departmental Health and Safety training and delivery.
- Provides administrative support to HR team.
- Perform other administrative duties as required.
ADDITIONAL SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- A strong work ethic with a focus on accuracy and attention to detail.
- The ability to perform well under pressure and to assess and prioritize workload.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Excellent conflict resolution skills.
- Proactive with the ability to problem solve and anticipate needs.
- Demonstrated professionalism and an understanding of the importance of confidentiality
- Ability to embrace and champion change.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Ability to handle the public with tact, discretion, and with a pleasing personality.
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE
- Post-secondary education in Human Resources Management, Occupational Health and Safety or closely-related field plus three (3) years of work-related experience.
- Experience in facilitation or training, an asset.
- CHRP, CHRL or CRSP Designation, an asset.
- Practical experience applying Canada Labour Code, Employment Standards Act, Human Rights Act, and Occupational Health & Safety Act.
- Experience in health and safety programs, i.e. RTW, an asset.
- Experience in Safety Group elements, an asset.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong research skills.
- Exercise discretion, judgment, and high degree of confidentiality in handling information.
- Must demonstrate high level of initiative, self-direction and ability to work independently.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, Excel and iCloud applications or willing to learn
- Willingness to learn, accept change, and adapt to new ideas, business concepts, and cultures.
- Flexible (extra hours may be required for training on occasion).
IMPACT OF ERROR
Error in judgement may lead to loss of credibility, poor public relations, public confidence and misinformation resulting in embarrassment and potential liability to the Six Nations of the Grand River Development Corporation.
The purpose of the Development Corporation is to enhance Six Nations to derive economic benefits, create employment for community members and generate income to support community priorities.
Six Nations of the Grand River Development Corporation will pursue economic self-sufficiency without sacrificing the cultural values and integrity of the Six Nations People. July 2019 V1
Community Members, Contractors, Government Agencies, Development Corporation Staff, and Vendors.
- This position requires normal physical effort.
- This position requires normal visual/sensory effort.
- This position typically operates in a generally agreeable work environment.
- This position requires wearing Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) when working on construction sites.
Responsible for ensuring HR personnel folders are secure and remain confidential.
Responsible for maintaining positive employer/employee relationships.
Human Resources Manager July 2019 V1
Please submit the following to the HR Department at the Gathering Place by the Grand Building in person/by mail at 2498 Chiefswood Road, Ohsweken, Ontario N0A 1M0 or by email at HRdept@sndevcorp.ca:
- Application for Employment Form (attached)
- Cover letter
Or apply online at www.sndevcorp.ca/careers.
Or apply online at www.Indeed.ca
Or apply through GREAT
Or apply through Hamilton Regional Indian Centre
Or apply through NPAAMB
Only those applicants who meet the qualifications will be contacted for an interview
Police Record Check and copies of education will be required at the time of Offer of Employment
Six Nations of the Grand River Development Corporation shall make every reasonable effort to accommodate job applicants who have disabilities and make the applicants aware of the policies and supports in place for accommodating people with disabilities. If you require accommodation during any phase of the recruitment and selection process, please reach out to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Download Application Form
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.