The Native Women’s Centre provides a secure, empowering environment for women and children fleeing domestic violence and for women suffering from homelessness, addiction or human trafficking. The Crisis Intervention Workers provide crisis intervention and emergency shelter services in accordance with Native Women’s Centre policies and procedures and maintains a professional relationship while working as an effective member of the team.
- Conducts accurate and complete intake of new clients
- Provides orientation to the environment and counselling process
- Provides input and participates in client Plan of Care; reviews as required
- Ongoing assessment of short- and long-term goals as identified in care plans
- Plans and facilitates therapeutic counselling to individuals and/or families
- Monthly programming assistance in life skills, recreation, outings, etc.
- Maintain client contact sheets and case management tracking sheets
- Maintain a safe and secure environment for clients
- Identifies and develops safety plans for high risk situations
- Maintains client confidentiality in accordance with policies and procedures
- Reports all disclosures, safety plans and serious occurrences to proper authorities
- Performs household tasks as related to the management of a shelter residence
- Prepare light meals or snacks as required
- Post-Secondary education in Child and Youth Work, Social Work or relevant discipline or a minimum of three years equivalent combination of work and volunteer experience.
- 2-3 years’ work experience in an emergency shelter is preferred
- Must be able to provide a current Criminal Records Search including a Vulnerable Sector Screening Report upon offer of employment
- Must have reliable form of transportation and possess a valid
Driver’s License and clean driving record
- An understanding of Indigenous history, culture, teachings and healings is an asset
- Ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with peers and supervisors
- Well-developed communication skills; the ability to handle stressful situations
- Solid computer and administrative skills to maintain files and compose case reports
- Must be willing to perform light cleaning, laundry and cooking duties while on shift