Hours: Thirty-two (32) Hours per Week; Monday-Friday 9-3
The Native Women’s Centre provides a secure, empowering environment for women and children fleeing domestic violence and for women suffering from homelessness, addiction or human trafficking. The Building Maintenance person will ensure the external and internal premises are clean and safe for the use for the residents, staff and visitors.
- Ensure the lawn is mowed and watered.
- Clear debris/garbage from the entire exterior property on a daily basis and dispose of garbage/recycling properly.
- Keep floor areas clean.
- Sweep and mop all exit stairwells on a regular basis and ensure the stairwells are always free of any debris or obstructions.
- Stack house/office supplies/food deliveries.
- Inspect the building for any necessary repair requirements or safety hazards and complete necessary follow-up.
- Log any repair or safety needs and advise manager accordingly.
- Check cleaning supply room and advise manager when an order to restock supplies is needed.
- Replace batteries in smoke alarms and emergency lights and checks fire extinguishers and complete the necessary follow-up.
- Clean laundry room, kitchen including appliances, bathroom, stairs, elevator, basement, walls, and cupboards, shed throughout the day (i.e., sweeping, mopping, etc.).
- Take on additional responsibilities as required ensuring smooth operation of Native Women’s Centre programs and services.
- Grade 12 education with one-year of relevant work experience.
- Ladder safety certification, risk and fall certification an asset.
- Must possess a valid adult/infant/child CPR and First Aid Certificate and be willing to obtain Non-Violent Crisis Intervention certification and other related training or willingness to obtain.
- Possess a thorough knowledge and understanding of Indigenous people, their culture, history and traditions within the Hamilton and surrounding areas.
- Valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle in good working order is an asset.
- Must be able to handle the physical demands of the position. Be able to lift 25 lbs on a regular basis.
- Knowledge of safe lifting techniques to minimize risk of injury.
- Good Time Management, Planning and Scheduling skills.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Good interpersonal, communication skills and able to work effectively within a team environment.