Atlohsa Family Healing Services is seeking a motivated and dynamic individual to fill the role of Overnight Community Care Worker. The primary role of the Overnight Community Care Worker will be to provide a safe, supportive space for community members in need of an overnight resting space. You will be responsible for communicating with other agencies, maintaining confidentiality of all participants and documents of the Resting Space program and will work in a team environment in an overnight setting.
Role and Responsibility
Using a Holistic Indigenous-led approach to principles of Harm Reduction and Housing First principals, the successful applicant will offer compassionate and assertive care and support to community members who may be experiencing homelessness, social stigma, mental health and substance use. The Overnight Community Care Worker will be responsible for assessment and intake of community members in need of a temporary resting space by offering rest, food and engagement. The Overnight Community Care Worker will address and access the immediate comfort and need of individuals in need of support. This may include providing lay counselling and proactively intervening when crisis or conflict arises; which may include aggressive or disruptive in the moment behavior due to substance use and or mental health. The Overnight Community Care Worker will liaison with other social service agencies, record accurate and detailed shift notes and must be able to provide clear, concise objective communication regarding community members being supported at the Resting Space. The Overnight Community Care Worker will work to ensure that Atlohsa Family Healing Services is a safe space for all community members accessing services and programming by referring community members to more appropriate locations if the need shall arise.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the languages, traditional ways, history and cultures of the Indigenous population in the London region
- Current knowledge of Indigenous community services and resources
- College or university education in social services is an asset
- Experience with working with marginalized individuals
- Demonstrated ability to receive training support, supervision and direction
- Demonstrated strengths in interpersonal relations, problem-solving, crisis intervention, group dynamics, community development and other innovative approaches
- Cultural sensitivity and an awareness of its impact on practice
- Skills in conflict resolution, mediation, and negotiation (to build trust and resolve disagreements)
- Excellent organizational and coordination skills and the ability to prioritize multiple competing workload demands in fast paced environment
- Effective communication (both written and verbal) and interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with others in a respectful manner as defined in the Atlohsa Code of Conduct
- Current Vulnerable Sector check required
Applicants of Indigenous Ancestry preferred.
EMPLOYEMENT TERM: Full-Time Contract until March 31st, 2020.
START DATE: September 1, 2019 – Contingent on funding.
CLOSING DATE: Until All Positions Are Filled
REMUNERATION: Competitive compensation and benefits package based on qualifications
Please submit a cover letter and resume or referral to:
Atlohsa Family Healing Services Inc.
2212 Elm Ave, Southwold, ON N0L 2G0
Tel No. 519-438-0068 | Fax No.: 519-438-0070 | Email: email@example.com
Full Job Description Available Upon Request. We thank all those who apply however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.