Reporting to the Executive Assistant, the Administrative Assistant will perform various administrative functions to support the Six Nations of the Grand River Development Corporation. The candidate must possess exceptional communication and organizational skills. The chosen candidate will serve as a first point of contact for the Corporation and work within the policies and procedures established by the Corporation.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Act as first point of contact for the Development Corporation including greeting visitors as they enter the facility. Answering, screening calls, and responding to general inquiries.
- Handle sensitive and confidential information relating to the activities of the Corporation.
- Prepare presentations as well as compose and edit first drafts of various correspondence (letters, invoices, reports, memos, etc.).
- Update the automated telephone system and staff lists as required.
- Prepare meeting packages and other information packages – identifies, collects, collates and forwards materials (may include internal staff as well as other stakeholders).
- Act as secretary/recorder at meetings to prepare minutes as well as provide other logistical support for committees and working groups.
- Review incoming mail/materials, prioritizes and ensures appropriate follow up action is identified and undertaken. Attends to email/phone/fax/courier/interoffice mail – prioritizing and/or responding.
- Pick up mail/packages from the Ohsweken Post Office and Six Nations Council Building
- Deliver inter-office mail to Tourism Building and The Gathering Place by the Grand.
- Receive and ship parcels and packages as required.
- Order supplies and equipment as requested, monitor inventory, and coordinate service requests. Acts as a back-up for inputting Maintenance or IT Work Orders.
- Process payments for goods/ services as required.
- May provide information/materials for website updates.
- Provide front coverage for Tourism and assist tourists with maps and information if possible.
- Maintain a clean and tidy workspace.
- Assist other departments as required.
- Perform other administrative duties as required.
- Act as backup for Office Administrator
ADDITIONAL SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- A strong work ethic with a focus on accuracy and attention to detail.
- The ability to perform well under pressure and to assess and prioritize workload.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Proactive with the ability to problem solve and anticipate needs.
- Demonstrated professionalism and an understanding of the importance of confidentiality
- Ability to embrace and champion change.
- Reliable and able to work independently.
- Ability to handle the public with tact, discretion, and with a pleasing personality.
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE
- A Post-Secondary Diploma in Business Administration or Secretarial Arts or Finance related business field and two (2) year work related experience;
- A Secondary School Diploma (or equivalency) and five (5) years work related experience.
- Possess keyboarding speed of 40-60 wpm.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office and iCloud applications or willing to learn.
- Experience managing schedules and booking meetings.
- Must pass a police record check.
- Willingness to learn, accept change, and adapt to new ideas, business concepts, and cultures.
- Flexible (extra hours may be required on occasion).
IMPACT OF ERROR
Error in judgement may lead to loss of credibility, poor public relations, public confidence and misinformation resulting in embarrassment and potential liability to the Six Nations of the Grand River Development Corporation.
The purpose of the Development Corporation is to enhance Six Nations to derive economic benefits, create employment for community members and generate income to support community priorities.
Six Nations of the Grand River Development Corporation will pursue economic self-sufficiency without sacrificing the cultural values and integrity of the Six Nations People.
Community Members, Contractors, Government Agencies, Council Members, Human Resources, Development Corporation Staff, Tourism Partners, Maintenance Contractors, Business Partners, and Vendors.
- This position requires normal physical effort.
- This position requires normal visual/sensory effort.
- This position typically operates in a generally agreeable work environment.
- Mental Stress: There is regular deadline pressure from various sources.