Day Camp Group Counsellor
Location: Niagara Falls March Break and Summer Day Camp
Hours: Seasonal full-time position, 37.5–42.5 hrs/wk.
Start/End Date: March Break Camp runs Monday, March 16, 2020 to Friday, March 20, 2020. Summer Camp runs June 29-September 4, 2020
Starting wage: $13.15-$14.00/hour plus YMCA membership benefits for month of March and June-August
Successful applicants will be required to attend trainings during evenings and weekends in February and March.
The YMCA is seeking individuals who have experience with children, and who possess American Sign Language (ASL) Level 3 or higher or are CODAs (child of a deaf adult). Group Counsellors are responsible for the safety, supervision and care of a group of 8 to 12 children. They will lead a variety of fun and exciting activities for the children in their group throughout the camp day, and ensure they have an amazing camp experience.
· Able to communicate and provide instruction to their camper group verbally and using sign language.
· Responsible for the safety, supervision and care of a group of 8 to 12 children.
· Lead a variety of camp activities for the children in their group throughout the camp day, and ensure they have an amazing camp experience.
· Consistently effectively communicate with parents and other team members to ensure a successful camp experience for everyone involved.
· Actively participate in programming planning.
· Participate in active games, sports, swimming and other activities.
· Be energetic and flexible.
· Providing a fun, safe and supportive environment for campers.
· Ensure YMCA Day Camp program outcomes are achieved.
· Demonstrate empathy and caring towards campers, staff and parents.
· ASL level 3 or higher or CODA.
· Experience working or volunteering with children or youth.
· Applicants must be 16 years of age or older.
· Values driven individuals who make excellent role models for children and youth.
· Experience working in day or residential camp is an asset.
· Energy, enthusiasm and flexibility.
· Current Standard First Aid with CPR-C.
- Criminal Reference Check – Vulnerable Sector Search issued for the YMCA of Niagara is required for applicants 18 and over prior to hiring (applicants under 18
Day Camp Overview:
Camp runs Monday to Friday from 8:30am to 4:30pm, with extended care from 7:30am to 6pm. The majority of camp staff are scheduled to work between 7.5 and 8.5 hours per day. For more information on this and the variety of camps we offer, please visit our website ymcadaycamp.ca.
Successful applicants must attend all pre-camp meetings and trainings, including training on YMCA Child Protection Policies & Procedures. Preference will be given to applicants who are available to work all days that camp is running in the cities they are applying for.
Camp Staff that worked during the Summer of 2019 or Winter Holiday Camp 2019-2020 are invited to submit a letter of interest.
All other applicants are invited to submit a cover letter and resume by noon on February 24, 2020 email@example.com
In your cover letter/letter of interest please indicate:
· The position you are applying for
· The days that you are available to work
· If you are a returning YMCA of Niagara Day Camp staff, please indicate your previous position(s) worked in camp
Only those applicants being considered for an interview will be contacted.
Accessibility accommodations and materials in alternate formats for individuals with disabilities can be arranged upon request
For more information for this and other opportunities at the YMCA of Niagara please visit our website, www.ymcaofniagara.org.