Summer Day Camp Program Support Counsellor (HELPING HANDS)
The YMCA of Niagara Day Camp department is seeking individuals with energy, enthusiasm, flexibility, empathy and creativity who are interested in gaining skills and experience working with children!
Positions available in: Welland, St. Catharines, Grimsby, Niagara Falls, Fort Erie & Port Colborne.
Contract Start/End: Contracts start in May for orientation and training, full time training starts June 21, 2020. Camp runs June 29 to September 4, 2020.
Starting Wage: $13.15-$14/hour plus YMCA Membership benefits from June-August
Hours per week: 35-40 hours/week
Program Support counsellors are responsible for working 1:1 with a variety of campers with developmental and behavioural special needs. Helping Hands counsellors are responsible for providing a safe and quality camp environment for their camper.
Helping Hands counsellors work with the Site Supervisor and Integration Supervisors to work towards inclusion and integrating their camper and to provide developmentally appropriate program within the camp program.
· Experience working with children and/or youth is an asset
· Applicants must be 16 years of age or older
· Values driven individuals who make excellent role models for children and youth
· Experience working in day or residential camp is an asset
· Energy, enthusiasm and flexibility
· CPI (Crisis Prevention) Training
· Current Standard First Aid with CPR-C (within two years of certification date)
· Criminal Reference Check – Vulnerable Sector Search is required for applicants 18 and over prior to hiring (issued in the last year)
· The ability to participate in physical activity (including swimming), and work in an outdoor environment in various weather conditions
● Ensure YMCA Day Camp is an inclusive camp experience and to provide strategies to achieve this goal
● Plan and deliver programs for Day Camp participants following YMCA objectives
● Support campers with behavioural, physical, or developmental challenges
● Assist with program implementation and adaptation of activities to meet the needs of all campers in the group.
● Read, understand and apply information from camper profile
● Make quick decisions to ensure maximum participant integration and safety
● Understand and commit to confidentiality
● Greet parents/guardians each morning when they drop off children and in the evening at pick up
● Act as a liaison while on duty to prevent or resolve problems
● Support and work as part of a staff/volunteer team by remaining flexible (willing to learn new skills, alter shifts)
● Responsible for the safety and security of staff and participants:
o Follow the YMCA Child Guidance Policy
o Respond to first aid and emergency situations as required
o Ensure that program areas are kept safe, clean and organized
o Check for potential health and safety hazards at all times when on duty and complete incident reports when necessary
o Follow CPI Non-violent Crisis Intervention guidelines (when certified)
DAY CAMP OVERVIEW:
Camp runs Monday to Friday from 8:30am to 4:30pm, with extended care from 7:30am to 6pm. The majority of camp staff are scheduled to work between 7.5 and 8.5 hours per day.
For more information on this and the variety of camps we offer, please visit our website ymcadaycamp.ca.
Successful applicants must attend all pre camp meetings and trainings, including training on YMCA Child Protection Policies & Procedures.
All applicants are invited to submit an online application via:
Only those applicants being considered for an interview will be contacted.
Accessibility accommodations and materials in alternate formats for individuals with disabilities can be arranged upon request
If you require additional information or have any questions about the hiring process please email email@example.com or call 905-934-9755 ext. 280.
For more information for this and other opportunities at the YMCA of Niagara please visit our website, www.ymcaofniagara.org.